Executive Director Position Open
Cope Environmental Center (Cope) is seeking a dynamic and highly qualified Executive Director. The Executive Director is responsible for the consistent achievement of Cope’s mission and financial objectives. The Executive Director is the voice and face of Cope; representing Cope locally, as well as on the state and national scene. The Executive Director oversees the accomplishment of policies, goals, and objectives established by the Board of Directors. And, the Executive Director provides leadership in identifying current trends and future opportunities for meeting the vision of Cope Environmental Center.
Cope is an environmental education organization that promotes the sustainable use of the earth’s resources through education, demonstration and research. Cope Environmental Center is situated on 130 acres with over three miles of hiking trails open to the public 365 days a year. Our educational programs reach thousands of participants every year. Cope’s new facility is designed to meet the very stringent standards of the Living Building Challenge. This building, along with the Children of Indiana Nature Park and the Bicentennial Trail project, has led to significantly increased exposure for the Center and its program offerings.
- Passion for CEC’s mission and vision.
- Experience in not-for-profit management.
- Excellent skills in fundraising along with stellar oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of personnel management including the ability to recruit, hire, and effectively supervise full and part-time employees and volunteers.
- Strong logistical long range and strategic planning skills.
- Ability to partner with community, state and national environmental and nature organizations.
A successful Executive Director will possess a welcoming and engaging personality in addition to excellent interpersonal, leadership, managerial, computer, networking, and public speaking skills.
Key Job Responsibilities:
The Executive Director:
- Works with the Board of Directors and especially the Board Chair to accomplish the mission and vision of Cope.
- Maintains a climate which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff of talented and qualified employees.
- Develops a pragmatic budget and works for financial stability.
- Works with the board and staff to create and implement comprehensive fund raising and public relations plans.
- Leads fund raising efforts especially through building relationships with donors locally and nation-wide.
- Works with Cope staff, Executive Committee, full board and committees to develop and implement long-range and annual strategic plans.
- Publicizes and promotes the mission and vision of Cope locally, statewide, and nationally by speaking to groups, participating in community organizations and events and working with media representatives.
- Oversees the effective use of the Living Building Challenge building as well as all natural attributes of the land.
- Shepherds the Bicentennial projects to ensure they reach their full educational potential.
- Enhances the organizational structure to realize the Center’s goals and plans.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced degree preferable
- Environmental knowledge and an eagerness to continue learning
Please send cover letter, resume and a minimum of three references to:
Cope Environmental Center
Attn: Alan Spears, Chair
Board of Directors
1730 Airport Road
Centerville, IN 47330
Or you may email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is open until filled.