Conservation easements and permanent protection:
How to best protect your land and care for it can be a web of legal language, agreements and lengthy management plans. There are organizations specifically set up to handle conservation easements and other ways to permanently protect land, such as the Red-tail Conservancy or Whitewater Valley Land Trust (1730 Airport Rd., Centerville, IN 47330).
Recycling, Reusing & Disposal:
Waste-not.org is a web site setup and updated by the Conservation Education Coordinator at the Wayne County Soil and Water Conservation District. The purpose of the site is to provide information for the people in Wayne and Union Counties regarding waste disposal, recycling, conservation, and local resources.
- Batteries + Bulbs recycles batteries! Small bags are free and large boxes are $0.30/pound. They are located at 3741 National Rd E, Richmond.
- Your local Goodwill Industries recycles nearly everything you can think of (even electronics)! The company has been recognized for their sustainability efforts and are a great stop before the landfill! Call 765-966-4108 for local hours and item acceptance policies.
- Have extra Amazon boxes? Fill them with all the stuff you’ve been meaning to take to Goodwill. Then visit http://givebackbox.com/amazon and print off a shipping label and drop it off at any UPS or USPS. Amazon will send your unwanted items to Goodwill for free! Recycle a box, and help others reuse your old items! It’s a win-win!
Did you know there are SEVEN different types of plastic? Each type of plastic has a specific use, and not all of them are recycled everywhere. Here are some other useful links that will guide you in your recycling journey!
- This site gives information regarding what happens to different types of plastics as they are recycled: https://owlcation.com/stem/How-plastic-is-really-recycled
- This link gives information on LOCAL recycling regulations in Richmond. If your trash is picked up by the Richmond Sanitary District, this link will help you figure out what is recycled and what is thrown away: http://www.richmondindiana.gov/our_government/departments/sanitary_district/trash___recycling_pickup.htm
- The Recycling Center in Richmond provides recycling containers for projects such as cleaning out the garage or doing home improvement: http://recyclingcenterinc.com/Services.html
- Other local recycling companies include: Richmond Scrap Processors, Integrity Metals, and Perpetual Recycling Solutions.
E-Recycling at Whitewater Parking Lot
We are so very excited to announce that we have found a new location for E-Recycling! IU East has generously agreed to partner with Cope Environmental Center to begin hosting E-Recycling. E-Recycling will take place on the fourth Saturday of the month from 9a-12p in the Whitewater parking lot! As always, we will be accepting electronic waste materials. Any TV that is not a flat screen will not be accepted. These can be taken straight to the Richmond Landfill or New Paris Pike for recycling. Paper shredding is also NOT available.
E-Recycling will continue to take place at the same place and time the fourth Saturday of each month. Call 765-855-3188 or email email@example.com for more information!
Proper Medicine Disposal:
Disposing of medicine improperly can lead to a whole host of problems for our water! Do the right thing and return unused or expired meds to Phillip’s Drugs (Richmond, IN) for collection and proper disposal. Thank you to Phillip’s Drugs for researching and implementing this green initiative! (Visit www.PhillipsDrugs.com or call 765-966-5544 for information)