CEC 2014-2015 Teacher Guide (downloadable PDF)
CEC Field Trips:
Field trips are a vital part of every child’s learning experience. CEC field trips allow children to experience nature and the environment first hand. Repeated experiences outdoors are vital to children as they grow and learn. All field trips are aligned to Indiana’s CORE Standards and can easily be formatted to fit Ohio State Standards. Field trips include games, hikes, and activities to provide a positive outdoor experience for all students. Although specific field trips have been created for each grade level, it is possible to adapt any of the current field trips to any grade level. New field trips may also be created to fit a teacher’s needs with enough preparation time. Please contact CEC Program Director Aubrey Blue for details.
We hold programs at Cope Environmental Center Tuesdays-Fridays (NO MONDAY PROGRAMS). The suggested times for your visit are 9-11am or 12-2pm. However, if those times do not fit your needs, we are more than happy to try and work with you!
We have an online calendar–please see below. Please check it first to see if your date/time is available (there may be times when we can’t keep up, but we will try our best!). You may call or email Aubrey to schedule your time and date. Please have the following information ready:
1. Names of teachers attending the program
2. Grade level
3. School’s contact information
4. Your e-mail address
5. Alternate phone number; preferably your cell phone number
6. Requested program or topic
7. Program date(s) and time(s) you are interested in
8. Number of students and adults
9. Any students with special needs?
10. Are you planning on eating lunch or a snack while at CEC?
11. Are you a classroom member? (please see below for more information)
12. Are you a teacher that has never been to CEC? (please see below for more information on our New Teacher Fund)
13. Are you applying for the Get on the Bus Fund? (please see below for more information on our Get on the Bus Fund)
Once you have scheduled your program, please fill out our online Program Confirmation form. YOUR FIELD TRIP IS NOT CONFIRMED UNTIL THE CONFIRMATION FORM IS FILLED OUT.
Preparing for your Field Trip:
1. All programs are held outside. Please make sure that you and your students are dressed for the weather.
2. Please make sure all of your students have name tags.
3. Please have your students use the restroom before you leave school. CEC only has one bathroom at this time.
4. Please have at least one adult per classroom (teacher included) throughout the entire field trip experience and no more than 1 chaperone per 10 students. We strongly encourage carpooling as CEC has a limited number of parking spaces. (If this is an issue, please contact Aubrey)
5. Please let us know ahead of time if there are any students with special needs.
6. If you are planning on eating lunch at CEC, please let us know. We have picnic tables available and will provide recycling receptacles, but ask that you take your trash with you.
7. If you send a substitute teacher in your place, please make sure they have the same information that you have regarding CEC. We are more than happy to speak to them ahead of time!
8. Non-weather cancellations must occur within 48 hours in advance or a $25 processing fees will be charged.
9. If you have scheduled a Wetland Investigation program, please make sure that students have a change of clothes (or at least extra shoes/socks), water shoes (rubber boots, aqua socks, etc.) and, if it is warm, a water bottle. We do have rubber boots are available for students, but we do not have enough for an entire class.
Get on the Bus Fund:
This fund was developed to help off set transportation fees for schools that have a population of 50% or more participating in the free or reduced lunch program. If your school fits in this category, CEC has a limited amount of funding each year to help off set a portion or all of your transportation fees. This is a “first come, first served” fund. You are onlly allowed one grant per semester. Fill out an application.
Please make sure that…
1. After your program, you fill out an evaluation form (we will not grant funds unless this is filled out).
2. You send Aubrey an invoice after your program with the following:
School name and contact information (address, phone, etc.)
$75.00 as the amount CEC will pay (if your bill is less than $75, please write that amount.)
Date of field trip and grade
Who the check should be written to
Note: Classrooms that receive Get on the Bus Funds are still responsible for paying the program fee. CEC only grants 15 applications each semester and will pay up to $75 towards your transportation/bus costs. Each bus counts as one GOTB grant. IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THIS GRANT, TEACHERS MUST FILL OUT PROGRAM EVALUATION FORM. WE WILL ONLY GRANT THE TRANSPORTATION MONIES DURING THE SEMESTER THAT YOUR PROGRAM TAKES PLACE.
NEW Teacher Fund:
This fund was developed to help teachers get acquainted with CEC! Never been to the Center with your classroom? Now’s the time to try us out! This fund will pay for 50% of your field trip fees or 50% of your Classroom Membership. Ask Aubrey Blue about this option when you call. IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THIS GRANT, TEACHERS MUST FILL OUT PROGRAM EVALUATION FORM.
Classroom memberships were created to encourage repeated classroom visits to Cope Environmental Center. Repeat visits increase information retention and allow for a better understanding of our natural world. The Classroom Membership has many benefits to ensure a great year of experiences for your classroom! Some of these benefits include:
- Two field trip visits to CEC- one fall and one spring (Maple Syrup trips are an additional $1 per student)
- A copy of our quarterly Evergreen newsletter will be sent to you via email
- A $10 discount on outreach programs (discount only to applies to first program if you schedule a series in one day)
- CLICK HERE FOR A CLASSROOM MEMBERSHIP FORM!
Bring CEC to your classroom! The CEC program staff is available to visit your school to conduct quality education programs on a variety of topics including: bats, owls, nocturnal animals, reptiles and amphibians, recycling, bugs, ants, snakes and “Mammal Showcase.” This is a sampling of available topics. Programs can be developed to fit your needs.
Nature Appreciation Hikes:
Interested in just getting your students outside to appreciate the outdoor world? General nature hikes may last from 1-2 hours depending on your needs. The fee is $ 3.50 per student. Hikes may also be focused on specific topics such as wildflower identification, tree identification, or bird behavior and identification.
Self-Guided Field Trips:
We welcome teachers who are comfortable leading their class on a hike with self-led activities. There is no charge for this option. All self-led trips must be scheduled 2 weeks in advance and will be worked into the program schedule when possible. Teachers must schedule their program time with the Program Director prior to the field trip. This option is limited to our program schedule.
Kindergarten: K.1.1, K.2.3, K.3.3
First Grade: 1.1.1, 1.1.3, 1.3.2, 1.3.3, 1.3.4, 1.3.5
Second Grade: 2.1.1, 2.1.3, 2.2.1, 2.3.2, 2.4.2
Third Grade: 3.2.5, 3.2.6, 3.3.1, 3.4.1
Fourth Grade: 4.1.1, 4.2.4, 4.3.4
Fifth Grade: 5.2.2, 5.3.1
Sixth Grade: 6.2.5, 6.3.4, 6.3.5
Science Explorers (Fall): K.1.1, K.2.3, K.3.1, K.3.2, K.3.3
Nature’s Treasure Hunt (Spring): K.1.1, K.2.3, K.3.2, K.3.3
Nature Detectives (Fall): 1.2.4, 1.3.1, 1.3.3, 1.3.4, 1.3.5
Bugs and Beyond (Spring): 1.2.4, 1.3.1, 1.3.2, 1.3.3, 1.3.4, 1.3.5
Plants & Animals: So Happy Together (Fall): 2.1.4, 2.1.5, 2.2.5, 2.3.1
Plants & Animals: Life Cycles (Spring): 2.1.5, 2.3.1, 2.3.2
Plants Rule the Land: 3.2.5, 3.3.1
“Class”ified Info-Plants & Critters: 3.2.5, 3.2.6, 3.3.1
The Cycles of Our World: 4.2.1, 4.2.2
Animal Adaptations: 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.4
Survival of the Fittest: 5.3.1, 5.3.2
Wetland Investigation: 5.3.1, 5.3.2
Biodiversity Bash: 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.5, 6.3.6
Wetland Investigation: 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5
Head Start Programs:
Cope Environmental Center has some exciting news! Every year at our Gala, we raise money for a specific need (i.e. New Teacher Fund). This year, we decided to raise money for Head Start classrooms to be able to visit CEC (or have CEC visit your classroom)–at not cost (this does NOT include transportation costs)!
Any Head Start classroom in Wayne or the surrounding counties are able to utilize this fund. Each classroom can use this fund one time per semester. However, this fund has a set amount of money in it, and when it’s gone, it’s gone!
In order to apply for this mini-grant, please fill out our online application form.