Hike/Bike Yourself Healthy 2013
* Logging hours for Hike/Bike Yourself Healthy 2013 will be open on this website starting Memorial Day (May 27) when the program begins! Pre-register to stay in the loop on kick-off activities!
- A summer wellness/nature program to get you outdoors and exercising!
- Open to all ages and participants from around the world!
- Bike, walk, run, or hike ANYWHERE OUTSIDE with incentives along the way! Active participants (by July 15th) are invited to a half-way point pool party celebration! We also have weekly drawings for great prizes and CEC gear! 150 minutes of your logged time must be logged at CEC to qualify for certain prizes.
- Log your active minutes on this website or in one of the many logbooks throughout the community, including CEC’s trailheads. If your club, group, business, or organization would like your own logbook, please email Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Part of a group? Get them involved, too! We LOVE to work with to businesses, organizations, non-profits, clubs, churches, and groups of friends setting there own active goals!
- Is your business or group ready for a little friendly competition? Great! The group or business of at least 10 participants with the highest average minutes at the end of the program will win an AWESOME package! Last’s year’s winners, Morrison-Reeves Library, earned 10 minute chair massages for their top ten employee participants and an office party generously catered by Chipotle! Stay tuned for information about the grand group prize this year.
- The CEC Staff and Board will hike 20,000 minutes between Memorial Day and Labor Day- we challenge our community (and beyond) to spend a whopping 500,000 minutes outside hiking, biking, walking, and running! Can we do it? Yes! With your help!
2012 Community Sponsors
Other 2012 sponsors include: Richmond Baking Company – Lorenz, Williams, Clinton – Warm Glow Candle – Earlham College - Meijer – West End Bank – Catron’s Glass – Stagg Safety Equipment
How We Calculate
Want to know why we ask for minutes? We want EVERYONE to participate and be eligible for great prizes at the end! Asking you to keep track of minutes helps keep everyone on a level playing field and consistent. For example, runners and cyclists who are active for one hour can cover a greater distance than someone who is just starting a health program and walks for an hour.
Average minutes to walk a mile = 18
Average steps in a mile = 2,000
- Introduce the idea of evening after-dinner walks with the family. What a great time to catch up with each other, enjoy the outdoors and develop a healthy habit!
- A business in town will be rewarding their employee participants with a pizza party! Why not reward great behavior?!
- Go to the HELP Shelter and walk a dog. They’ll be thrilled to spend time with you!
- Check out the Whitewater Gorge Trail (jump on at N 3rd St.). While you’re there, check out the “new” Family Fitness Works facility- much of the building was repurposed from parts of the old hospital!
- Walk Uptown Richmond. We are so fortunate to have a very walk-able downtown area. New stores seem to be popping up frequently, so take a stroll! You can end your walk at the Clear Creek Co-op- they just moved to 710 East Main St. Grab a healthy drink or snack!
- Own a business? Challenge your office to “hike and bike themselves healthy” this summer and offer a great incentive to the winner (example: paid day off, lunch coupons, etc.). Healthy employees = lower healthcare costs!
- Knock on a neighbor’s door and ask them to join you. Use your walk to get to know one another better!
- Stories about your experience? Have something to share with us? Send them to us! And photos too! We’d love to hear about it!
- Check out this site for LOTS of info on walking, nutrition, motivation, etc: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html
- More ideas? Send them to us! We’ll post them here…