Position Open at Joseph Moore Museum
Position: Education and Outreach Coordinator
Department: Joseph Moore Museum
Status: Part-time Administrative Faculty (28 hours/week)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Joseph Moore Museum at Earlham College seeks a part-time (28 hours/week, 12 months) qualified and dynamic Community Engagement Specialist for immediate hire.
The JMM is a dynamic college museum focused on forging meaningful connections among community members and supporting exploration and application of scholarly knowledge to topics of importance to society. Our museum is largely student-run, where faculty provide support, training, and mentorship for students who are learning to be tour leaders, researchers and collections specialists. We strive to create engaging community programs and exhibits that combine the strengths of our college natural history and ethnographic collections, planetarium, scholarly research of Earlham College faculty, and the passions of our three museum faculty and ~40 undergraduate student staff. First publicly opened in 1887, the JMM has long been known as the region’s natural history museum and is located in Richmond, Indiana on the campus of Earlham College.
• Supervise, train and mentor Earlham College undergraduate student staff in outreach (i.e. interacting with the public through tours, events, and museum hosting during open hours). The majority of the coordinator’s work is supporting students who engage with the community.
• Plan and implement community educational programs for the Joseph Moore Museum in line with the museum’s mission and vision, including designing, scheduling, staffing/leading, publicizing and promoting educational tours that meet state standards throughout the school year and in summer.
• Plan and implement special events to connect Earlham community members with each other and the broader Wayne County community around topics of importance to science and society. Must be available on evenings and weekends to oversee events.
• Assist with exhibits, including maintenance, refurbishment and design.
• Prepare an annual report documenting and critiquing community engagement at JMM. This includes keeping daily statistics on program attendance and student tour leader performance.
• Assist with fundraising for community engagement.
• Assist with developing and implementing an Outreach and Education Plan for JMM.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in education with a scientific focus
• Previous experience in leading educational programming for children pre-k-12th grade.
• Previous experience as a supervisor
• Certified Interpretive Guide through NAI, or available and willing to complete training <https://www.interpnet.com/nai
• Either a degree in a scientific field or substantial experience leading science or nature programs for children
• Ability to supervise, mentor, and organize college students
• Dedication to working enthusiastically as part of a team of faculty and students
• Ability to connect with people of diverse ages and backgrounds
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail, logistics and daily planning
• Ability to work independently
• Strong commitment to community engagement
• Passion for communicating science
• Flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Position will begin as early as possible, preferably prior to September 25, 2017. Announcement posted August 17, 2017.
Please send a cover letter detailing qualifications for the position, CV, a list of at least three professional references and a detailed sample plan for a science or nature-based elementary school tour as a single electronic file to: firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:thi
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham is an Equal Opportunity Employer.