Sustainable Holiday Tips
The holiday season is prone to wastefulness, but there are lots of strategies for reducing energy consumption, conserving resources, and recycling old materials. Here are a few friendly pointers from Cope!
- eat locally produced and organic food
- turn down the thermostat if cooking with the oven (or if hosting a large number of guests)
- don’t toss leftovers — save them in Tupperware and eat them later!
- or: compost uneaten leftovers
- use China instead of paper/plastic dishes and utensils to reduce the waste sent to landfills
- recycle your fryer oil out at Cope Environmental Center!
- recycle glassware and reuse corks
- reuse materials from previous years
- save decorations for future events
- don’t use decorations that require electricity
- recycle your Christmas trees out at Cope Environmental Center!
- reuse wrapping paper
- give gifts that are handmade (with love!)
- or: give gifts of experience (less waste!)
- if travel is absolutely necessary, be aware of carbon offsets, and try to reduce them
- if going by car, make sure your tires are full
- make green New Year resolutions
- if no one’s watching it, don’t leave the TV on in the background
- sending out holiday greeting cards? do it electronically and save paper!
Happy holidays from everyone at Cope!